What Is the Purpose of a Nightguard?
- Tooth sensitivity
- Tooth damage or loss
- Toothache and TMJ problems
Nightguards are not intended to be used as a treatment for bruxism (teeth grinding) but as a protective device for the teeth.
What Are the Types of Nightguards?
- More comfortable fit for all-night wear
- Longer lasting protection
- Better oral hygiene due to elimination of tooth stains and plaque buildup caused by nighttime mouth breathing. Better sleep due to decreased nighttime jaw pain and headaches caused by grinding and clenching.
- Better sleep due to decreased nighttime jaw pain and headaches caused by grinding and clenching.
What Are the Types of Over-the-Counter Nightguards?
Flat Nightguards - Flat nightguards are recommended if you grind your front teeth together when you sleep. They should be worn on the top front surface of the upper jaw. Flat nightguards can be cut down for a better fit if required.
Bite Guards - If you grind your back teeth together when you sleep, a bite guard may be recommended. Bite guards can also help protect your jaw from pain if you have a TMJ disorder or bruxism. They should be worn on the top back surface of the upper jaw, between the molars and incisors. Bite guards can also be cut down for a better fit if required.
Highland Dental Care, located in Denver, CO, is equipped with the best dentists and modern technologies. Call us at (303) 455-3838 to schedule an appointment at our dental practice.